Posted on 3/11/2018
Plans, develops or improves processes, quality plans, cost estimates, tooling, CNC Programs and appropriate documentation for new or existing parts. Designs and implements fixtures to machine customer’s parts. Determines machining capabilities, tools, number of operations and other resources and processes needed for the job. Identifies opportunities and implements changes to improve quality of machined parts and/or to reduce costs using knowledge of the machining process. Position works under minimal supervision.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Obtains and maintains knowledge on all appropriate equipment and processes at WSI.
- Prepares all documents integral to the machining process.
- Designs fixtures and selects tooling required to machine customer parts.
- Develops CNC programs for machine tools.
- Provides process plans and cycle times for cost estimates for quoting new work.
- Determines root causes of machining/materials failures using statistical methods and recommends changes in fixture designs, tolerances, tooling, and/or processes.
- Provides engineering and other technical assistance to Business Managers on new quotes or existing customer orders.
- Works with Quality Engineers to develop quality plans for part manufacturing.
- Communicates machining capabilities, production processes and other critical information to production staff.
- Utilizes Statistical Process Control (SPC) to monitor key features and process capabilities.
- Takes positive corrective action based on Run Charts, defective material or other quality information provided to improve product quality and process reliability.
- Provides ideas and takes initiative to improve manufacturing processes.
- Stays current with latest technological and industry trends to improve our manufacturing environment.
- Purchases tooling critical to machining and production process. Assists Buyer/Production Planner in maintaining approved suppliers of critical tooling.
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Must have at least five years of Manufacturing or Process Engineering experience or related experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering or related field preferred.
- At least 5 years of experience in the machining industry (turning and milling steel and aluminum) preferred.
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing is preferred.
- Experience with 3D CAD programs, preferably Pro E/SolidWorks.
- Experience with CAM software, preferably MasterCam.
- Proficient in machine programming utilizing feature recognition and Dynamic High Speed Milling.
- Knowledge and experience creating blue prints and understanding geometric tolerances is required.
- Strong machining skills to include speed, feeds, cutting tools and equipment.
- Working knowledge of Statistical Process Control (SPC) is required.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong math and mechanical aptitude skills.
- Working knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and material flow.
WSI provides excellent benefits including medical and dental coverage, ten paid holidays, profit sharing and a 401(k) with a company match.
Fax, email or mail resume to:
WSI Industries, Inc.
213 Chelsea Rd
Monticello, MN. 55362